Notes on parent access to moodle
Now that half of our departments are using moodle we are receiving more questions on how to access it, etc. Below are a few common areas of confusion that we can hopefully clarify:
- Parents access moodle by using the "Login as a guest" button at the bottom of the moodle login page. You specifically do NOT use your assigned parent username and password for moodle. However, *students* do use their assigned username and password to access the site. The difference being that students have access to class discussions, the ability to submit assignments, etc. while parents do not (parents only have the ability to view homework assignments due to student privacy issues surrounding on-line class discussions).
- We are in year 2 of a 3 year migration to moodle from our traditional BT Intranet homework site so you may have one or more teachers who use each of the systems this year. The teacher is the best resource to explain where, how, and when he/she posts homework assignments.
- If a teacher uses moodle they must take a specific action to turn on guest (parent) access for the course. Some teachers take a further step of assigning a parent password for the site. If you access moodle as a guest but cannot locate your student's class (but know they are using moodle) an e-mail to the class teacher should be enough for him/her to turn on guest access and/or share the class parent password with you.
Parent Instructions for Accessing Moodle:
- Go to http://moodle.btcatholic.org (note that there is no www. at the beginning).
- On the page that appears, click on the link that says “I certify I am authorized to use this site”.
- This will direct you to the login page.
- Click on the Login as Guest button towards the bottom.
- You will be taken to a list of courses.
- Locate your student’s course that you want to view by scrolling down the list.
- Click on the course name for which you are looking.
- You will now be directed to the main course page. All assignments and content will be in the middle of the page. To access any of these activities or resources, click on their name.
a. When accessing the course as a parent, you will not be able to participate in any of the activities nor will you see your student’s submissions or grades. You should still access student grades through Power School.
If you still have questions on moodle please do one of the following - if your questions is related to a specific class (i.e. if you cannot find your specific class on moodle or if you have troubles enrolling in that class) please contact the teacher directly. If you have general problems accessing moodle please contact email@example.com. We will also be providing a video overview of moodle soon on our BT Youtube channel.
a. Note that you can also click on the department name at the top of this list to be taken to a list of classes for just that department.
a. If you get a screen that says “Guests cannot access this course, please try to log in.”, then you should email the teacher and ask them to enable parent access.
b. If you encounter a screen that asks for a guest password, then your student’s teacher should have provided you with a password for parent access. If so, enter the password. If you do not know the password, you can email the teacher.